Movie Review: Captain Marvel

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie Review: Captain Marvel

Cole Bertelsen, Editor

The latest Marvel Studios film, Captain Marvel, recently hit theaters. As the final movie before the incredibly anticipated Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel was approached with both excitement and apprehension by many fans. Thankfully, the response after the film’s premiere has been largely positive.

Before seeing Captain Marvel, I was not sure what to expect. The promotion for the movie was arguably not very good, as it misled many viewers. This is the first Marvel film to feature a female main protagonist. Many feared that the movie would be overly focused on promoting its message, and that the plot may take a backseat. I was relieved that this was not the case.

Captain Marvel is a upbeat mixture of comedy, action, 90’s nostalgia, and heroism.

The movie begins in space. Early on the audience is introduced to a warrior of the alien Kree (Brie Larson). We see that she is being trained to control her power by Yon-Rogg (Jude Law), which mainly consists of blasts of energy from her hands.

She later finds her way to Earth. There she soon encounters several agents of SHIELD, a secretive government agency. One particular agent, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), begins helping her solve the mystery involving her lost memories of a life on Earth, including her real name of Carol Danvers. Together the two uncover an even larger conflict.

This story is set in the 90’s, and has many fun nostalgic moments. The whole movie is full of comedy and nods to past films.

While all Marvel Studios films have opened with a montage of the various heroes, slowly revealing the iconic Marvel logo, that was not the case in Captain Marvel. In it, each hero was replaced by an image of Stan Lee, in a touching memorial. This opening tribute to the recently passed creator of many beloved characters was very meaningful. He also appeared in his traditional cameo.

With an impressive cast, memorable comedy, and a solid story, this is a good film. The only criticism that came to my mind was that Captain Marvel was overpowered if anything, but this film was meant to display her power, before later showing her limitations.

This could be considered by many as another general installment in the Marvel franchise. When measured up against some of the most successful films in that franchise, Captain Marvel may not stand out. It is a smaller, solo origin film, and that is all it is meant to be. It certainly rises above other Marvel films. I did enjoy this movie, and I suggest you watch it.

About the Writer
Cole Bertelsen, News Editor

This is Cole's first year contributing to The Bluejay Post. He is a sophomore at CHS and looks forward to reporting on important stories. Cole enjoys taking...