Movie Review: Glass

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie Review: Glass

Cole Bertelsen, News Editor

Glass is currently in theaters. In the time since its release, it has met mixed reviews. Some have faithfully praised the movie’s plot and characters to no end. On the other hand, there were many in the audience that were left underwhelmed.

This movie is a sequel to 2000’s Unbreakable and 2016’s Split. If you haven’t already seen these films, I’ll give you a short summary.

Unbreakable follows the story of a man, David Dunn (Bruce Willis). His whole life, he always thought that he was a normal guy, until one day, he is the only person to survive a massive train wreck. He soon runs into Elijah Price, a.k.a. Mr. Glass (Samuel L. Jackson). This man was born with a rare disorder that has left his bones extremely brittle, resulting in many breaks throughout his life. But while his body is weak, his mind is strong, and always seems to have a master plan. With the help of his son (Spencer Treat Clark), David Dunn realizes that he… is… unbreakable. David and Elijah soon realize that they are polar opposites.

Split, at first glance, bares no relation to Unbreakable. But, a small post-credits scene appearance cemented the shared universe between the two films. Split’s focus is on a man named Kevin Wendell Crumb (James McAvoy). He had endured years of abuse by his mother. As a result, he developed multiple personalities over the years, each with a completely separate name and identity. Most seem normal, if not fairly eccentric. This is a much more psychological movie, focusing on the struggle of the different personalities for control. Soon, another personality appears, known as the Beast. Some of the other personalities revere him, seeing him as salvation, leading to an inner struggle to contain or release the violent identity within. Several high school girls are abducted by one of the identities that is a member of the Beast’s followers, dubbed the horde. He, along with multiple other identities, guard the girls until the Beast appears. When he does, he will punish those who have not suffered as he has. While two of the girls are innocent as expected, one has experienced suffering similar to Kevin’s. This girl, Casey Cooke (Anya Taylor-Joy), is able to disrupt the Beast’s plan. McAvoy’s performance, both in Split and Glass, is amazing. He truly convinces the audience that he does have multiple personalities.

Glass feels much more like a sequel to Split than Unbreakable. It has some impressive moments, with exciting fight scenes and marvelous performances by the actors involved. The stellar acting truly does make this movie feel convincing. If you have been a faithful fan of director M. Night Shyamalan’s previous films, you may enjoy this one as well. But with a confusing plot and what many considered an anticlimactic ending, there is a chance that you will leave the theater disappointed.

About the Writer
Cole Bertelsen, News Editor

This is Cole's first year contributing to The Bluejay Post. He is a sophomore at CHS and looks forward to reporting on important stories. Cole enjoys taking...