The Upside

Jaeden Werth, Editor

The Upside stars Kevin Hart (Dell), Bryan Cranston (Phillip), and Nicole Kidman (Yvonne). Inspired by a true story, The Upside is about Phillip, a billionaire that happens to be a paraplegic in need of assistance. Dell, an ex-convict, needing papers signed by employers to prove that he is looking for work, comes in for an interview. At first he believes he is interviewing for a janitor position, not even realizing at first that Phillip is paralyzed. Being the most unqualified candidate, it was unclear who was more surprised between Dell and Yvonne when Phillip offers him the job.

Needing money to support his ex and their son, Dell comes back and agrees to take the job, without fully understanding everything that the job will entail. It turns out that while Dell was the least qualified for the job, he was the type of person Phillip needed most in his life at the time. The two men end up forming an unlikely bond. Both push each other out of their comfort zones and introduce one another to new things in life. Dell pushing Phillip to get out of his normal routine and change his views on life as he knew it. While Phillip pushes Dell to find something he is passionate about it and follow it, while teaching him how to be a more responsible person.

The two find themselves in bit of a tough situation, where Phillip decides it would be easiest to fire Dell, as well as pushing away others who care about him. Dell takes what he’d learned from his time with Phillip to do what was right for his family and to start building a future for himself. Until he is contacted by Phillip’s worried physical therapist and he learns that even Yvonne, who tried to make her boss’s life as enjoyable as possible, left because of Phillip pushing her away. Dell realizes that Phillip needed him in that moment more than ever.

While this movie is an emotional rollercoaster, it is definitely worth watching. It shows that everyone has someone they can learn something from, especially about life and everything it throws your way.

About the Writer
Jaeden Werth, Contributor

Jaeden Werth is in her senior year at Cimarron High School. This is her first year in the journalism class. She is very involved in school. She is the...