thebluejayway: Beneficial or Destructive

Jaeden Werth, Manager

The Blue Jay Way, the new and improved way of living, if you attend Cimarron Schools anyways. This philosophy preaches responsibility and accountability, which is great and all, but has it been pushed too far? In order to find out if the Blue Jay Way is actually benefiting our students, I interviewed several people, including; students, parents, and faculty.

First off, I asked the interviewees what their opinions of this new philosophy are. The first interviewee stated, “It is a hypocritical system, especially when it comes to the adults who are pushing it. How can they expect the students to follow this “great system” when they don’t even follow it?” The second interviewee said, “I believe it is a good system that has good merit and good intentions, but the way it is being handled so far isn’t allowing it to work as well as it could.” Both of these statements started to show some doubt towards this supposedly great new thing in our schools. “I’m not a fan of the Blue Jay Way because I feel like all the coaches should teach individually because if each sport preaches the exact same thing to all athletes, then they will just keep treating it like a joke”, said another person. Another interviewee’s opinion was, “Well I think it had good intentions, but with the repetitive drilling into students minds it is kind of become a joke”. All of these statements show that there was a good intention with the Blue Jay Way, but there are doubts about how it is being handled and executed.

Next, I wanted to know their opinions on whether this is helping or hurting our school. I mean, if being “above the line” is supposed to help better our school, I think those pushing it should look at the results so far and determine whether it is negatively or positively impacting our school. One person stated, “Other schools mock it and that embarrasses the community and students in our school”. This brings a negative impact on students, faculty, and people of Cimarron. Students are already put into stressful, tension-filled environments every day. Now the advocators of this are trying to force students to act like robots and never make mistakes, no matter what. This only adds unneeded tensions to students. This system has good intentions, but those in charge of the school can’t just expect students and the community to go with whatever they are told, especially when it is shoved in their face and down their throats constantly, just because they are in a “power position”.  “I think it’s making the staff complacent with how they react to issues. It is basically a way for the teachers to feel like they are teaching the students something and allowing them to avoid actually teaching skills that will be beneficial after high school”, stated another person. From all interviews, I gathered that there is an overall feeling that The Blue Jay Way has caused less focus on what should actually be important and take priority in a school setting. Many students feel that sports have become a priority over education in our school. Last, we all knew, we attended high school in order to gain knowledge and experiences that will help us in college and later in life, but when sports are taking the priority and faculty is preaching about teaching us skills that should just be morals every person has, how do they expect us to be prepared for life after high school? Also, allowing or pushing injured student-athletes to continue participating in their sport isn’t teaching “doesn’t matter, get better”, it is teaching students that our coaches care more about winning at all cost than the physical and mental health of the athletes. “Fear and intimidation is not a way to treat students. It won’t teach them success”, said an interviewee, which is a valid point that faculty and coaches should keep in mind.

Finally, I asked those I interviewed if they thought our school should keep pushing the Blue Jay Way, ease up on pushing it, or completely get rid of it. One response I received was, “Personally, I want to get rid of the Blue Jay Way but easing up on it would be a good idea. If the advocators of this would like to push it in their sport, then let them do as they please, but they shouldn’t force every sport to follow it, because not all sports are coached the same. Football is different from cross country, which is different from wrestling, which is different from track and so on. The advocators don’t really care to take into consideration the opinions and thoughts of others, they are more worried about pushing their thoughts. I think the Blue Jay Way is hurting our school, it is causing tension because anyone who isn’t a full believer in it is too afraid to say anything because no one will actually listen to what they are saying, rather they will just look down on them”.  Another responded with, “I think we should just get rid of it, which is hard to do now that they put it up on a wall. It really has no lasting effect, we aren’t going further in our life and say ‘Oh I lived my life in the Blue Jay Way’. Most teachers don’t even bother with it, but the few that do and the higher up faculty think it is something the students care about, but it’s really not. Really, all it takes is a coat of paint. A way to improve it would be having worthwhile initiatives and not call it the Blue Jay Way”. In conclusion: no, I don’t think the Blue Jay Way is benefiting students and the advocators should look into changing it.

About the Writer
Jaeden Werth, Contributor

Jaeden Werth is in her senior year at Cimarron High School. This is her first year in the journalism class. She is very involved in school. She is the...